Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dish #42: Charlie's Burger - Underground Bug Fest.

The Dish: During my lunch breaks at work, I usually shuffle through the office's newspaper (my big boss subscribes to the Globe and Mail) in search of something interesting to read while I eat my leftovers from the night before. Today, I chose the Life section. The photos that graced the headlines were not particularly graceful nor were they tasty. As I unfolded the paper, I saw bugs. I saw food. I saw photos of bugs in food.

Hmm? Obviously, I read on. I was apprehensive of my choice. It definitely wasn't the most appetizing article of the day. But as most of you know, I love food. I just couldn't help but be slightly terrified yet intrigued at the same time.

The article speaks of an underground "anti-restaurant" called Charlie's Burger, created by an anonymous man/men/woman/women who calls him/herself/themselves Charlie Burger. They reach out to famous chefs "to create whatever menu they want, with no boundaries whatsoever".

Filled with curiosity, I decided to Google this mysterious food fare. To my surprise, they don't have a real website. I was confronted with a photo of a door which I pressed and "entered". Hoping to find photos of great plates, samples of past menus and short blurbs of the chefs who had joined the event in the past, I was instead confronted with a black page that asked me for my email. Apparently, they will get back to me. (Screenshot of their website below.) Completely confused, I did some more research. There is no real location of the secret dinner party and not everyone is allowed to eat there. Guests were asked to meet at strange locations at precise times with $110 dollars of cash donation per person. Yup, pretty underground to me.

Let's go back to the bug article which started this investigation in the first place. Chris John, the author of the G&M article, was given the opportunity to taste a 10-course meal that revolved around various bugs (farmed mostly in Thailand) which was prepared by chefs Jeff Stewart and Matt Binkley with the donation of $155. Ouf. Here are some of the dishes he sampled: Roasted Forest Nymphs, Ancient Chinese Scorpion Soup, Queen Ant Thai Salad, charlie 'Bugger' Micro Chickpea and Bean Burger and Risotto con Quattro Vermi (vermi means worm by the way).

I will spare you the details of which bug went into which course. I was quite repulsed by the idea. I love food. I love people being innovative with food. However, there is something we call a food chain. There is an hierarchy. I don't care how much batter you dip these little critters in before frying them or how long you sizzle them in vegetable oil or how hot the water is when you boil them. There is something about rhinoceros beetles that I will never find appetizing.

To be honest, the concept of an underground, moving restaurant is quite interesting. But the concept of eating bugs has been around for a very long time in Asian cultures. Western cultures found it disgusting, dirty and cheap. It goes to show how hypocritical we can be. If you hide the food from the public, charge a ridiculously amount for it and be brave enough to call a queen ant a delicacy, people will fight in line to try it and you can make a business out of basically anything.

Charlie's Burger's Webpage (Click to enlarge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment